Drawing Fish 52 – 01_Rainbow Trout

Drawing Flies 52 - Rainbow Trout

Drawing Fish 52 rainbow trout. The first fish of the 2011 project. Felt solid on this one! A little break and change of pace seems to have gotten my drawing hand back (I’d swear that it simply fell off with a few of last year’s flies…). This fish is based on a ‘bow that my wife, Kelley, caught two summers ago on Montana’s Gallatin River. Not  a big ‘bow, but a good one for a pic.

Notes: Unwrapped my brand spankin’ new Moleskine Watercolour Notebook, set up two water trays, opened my paints, and grabbed my favorite mechanical pencil. The pencil flowed nicely over the Moleskine paper, and I found myself changing my direction a bit once I got the outline down. I decided to stick with pencil for the entire drawing itself, and just use color to help key areas pop and set some additional optical boundaries. Got what I wanted, for the most part. Also ended up using all 30 minutes right to the buzzer. Nice way to start 2011, I think.

Tech info: Mechanical pencil and watercolor on Moleskin Watercolour Notebook.

Jeff’s rainbow trout is here. Really like the abstraction and boldness. Not at all what I expected, and that’s just fine by me. Cool start to 2011, Jeff!

1. Kelley says:

I love this little trout, almost as much as I loved catching it with you! The colors take me right back to the blue-sky day, the rushing water, the beautiful jewel at the end of my line. I can’t wait to see how you are going to fill up the Moleskine….

2. JB says:

That was a truly memorable day. Felt like we were the only two people on the river, and had our own private hatch all to ourselves. You were in the perfect spot on the run, and as I recall, this was the first of two fish in two casts—the second being a brown matching the ‘bow in size. A perfect set on a brilliant day that I didn’t want to end….

3. Jeff Kennedy says:

JB- Nice job on this one! Love your pencil work and a splash of color. Tells a great story. Hope you like the Moleskine let me know your thoughts on it once you get a few under your belt.

4. FLYNN says:

IF IT AIN’T SOLD—–CONSIDER IT SOLD—WILL LOOK GREAT IN THE FTDEN

5. JB says:

Sold to you, my friend… WIll give you a call.

6. Dan (Potilechio) says:

Jason,
    I have been looking at your “drawing flies” drawings for some time, got turned on to it through Joseph’s site, at One Last Cast. I love your work. I really liked this Rainbow. I’m a little confused as to how you sell your work. Do you make prints, or do you sell the original only? And, is it first come first serve? Any chance of a brookie, or brown in the future?
    Love you work,
    Dan

• JB says:

Dan—Thank you for the kind comments about my DF52 work. The DF52 originals (flies and fish) are sold as that—originals only, no prints. And yes, they are first-come, first-served. There will be a brookie and likely several browns of different types this year. I am also considering offering some non-DF52 work this year, too (fish, etc.), and will get any of that listed on the FF&W [images] page over in the sidebar.