Short Day, Long Project

jborger-sc20-cap_teaser

For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere today is the shortest day of the year. I figured that it would be a good day to make a first post about a long project—all 106 inches of it. Designed to be at home on trout water, slinging bugs and chucking streamers. Only 20 will be made, each a memory of days spent telling a Montana story under a Montana Big Sky. Crafted just down the road from me by a small group of good friends.

More to follow….

Update: 01/20 and 04/20 have been reserved. I’ll have more information about the other 18 over the next few weeks.

1. Andrew Parker says:

… an 8’10” rod :confused: Lovely reelseat

2. JB says:

Andrew—It’s just like 9-foot rod, only 2-inches shorter. Actually, the 8-10 length came about from two primary factors: 1) I liked it better than the 8-8 and 9-0 versions that I had as prototypes, and 2) It has a special relation to some rods that I used 20 years ago on a certain movie. The length and deeper action being a modern re-intrepretation of those old, big-water bamboo trout rods. More about that coming up.

In general with rod design, I like whatever length I feel works best once I play with tapers and so forth. If it is few inches longer or shorter than the “usual,” I don’t worry about it. Wherever works for me is just where it is. That may also have some roots in my youthful destruction of the ends of rod tips where a number of my rods were quickly re-built (sometimes streamside) as 7-9, or 8-3, or even 8-10.

3. Neil Rush says:

Where can I buy one?

Sincerely

Neil Rush
    Cynthiana Ky

4. JB says:

Hi Neil—You can purchase one here. I’m hoping to have final pricing shortly—expect it will likely be toward the higher end of Made-in-USA graphite rods—and I will post it as soon as I do. If you have an interest in a particular number (01 and 04 are no longer available), please just let me know. I won’t require deposits until I have the final pricing, but I am holding numbers for those who are interested until that time.

5. Neil Rush says:

I am very interested.
    Let me know about the deposit.

Quite sincerely.

Neil Rush

6. Neil Rush says:

Will forward when details become availaible

NCR

7. JB says:

Neil—Will definitely let you know.

8. Neil Rush says:

Hello JB

I may actually need two.

Depending on the rod itself and the fee. One for me, maybe one for an associate.

Please use my email for the transaction details.

Sincerely

NCRush

PS. My wife and I met your Father about 25 years ago in LaGrange,Ky. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

I had never seen anyone handle a rod and a line like your Dad.

A very humbling experience.

Had a great day.