First (Real) Casts Since August

jb-benhart-rod-0910

That’s the hand enjoying better days.

Some readers have been asking me what’s going on (such as, “Hey, you still breathin’?”), so I figure it’s about time that I resurface with an answer. Not long after the last post that I made here (August 11), I injured a tendon in my casting hand. Felt like a rod of fire being jammed through my hand and forearm, but at least my fingers still worked (no sickening snapping noises). To make a long story much, much shorter, I haven’t been able to properly cast a fly rod until yesterday (and no fishing either! So much for the late summer hopper time).

My hand finally felt good enough to warrant 45 minutes casting with GB yesterday, trying out various rods, including his new 01/20 SC20. My hand felt perhaps 90-perecent, and I took it easy, but it was good to be casting and not wincing every time I tried to sling more than 30 feet of line. Almost killed me to wait this long, but I’d rather have waited than done more damage or extended the healing time for months.

This also put me further behind on the SHFC book project, but that’s the way it goes. Writing a little section today on how to reel in line quickly without it jumping all over the place and potentially wrapping on the tip. Small thing, I know, but I wanted to get it in the book anyway.

So, that’s been my non-casting/non-fishing life since August. It is my hope that I won’t be damaging myself further until the book is done!

1. Lars Bentsen says:

Ahaa, so that’s where No. 01 went – good call, I suppose :-).

Glad to hear you’re getting better!

Lars

2. flynn says:

HEY BRO—HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    HOPE YOU GET YOUR SPANKING TODAY
    HI TO THE LADIES

flynn

3. Grunde says:

Hi Jason,

good to hear that you are back in (casting) business! Looking looking forward to see more of the book ;-)

Best regards,
    Grunde

4. Jay says:

Jeez…. Hope your hand will recover 100% soon.

Best,
    Jay

5. Boyd Wilson says:

That’s no good mate, at least you can cast left handed :)
    Hope it gets better.

Boydo.

6. David says:

Wow, sorry to hear about the injury. Please, Please take care of yourself. You are needed in this industry, but we need you healthy. Take care, be well and God Bless

7. JB says:

Flynn–Thanks! Older, not sure about wiser, and definitely not feeling 19 anymore! ;) Ladies say hi back (as in “hi” from Kelley and “grrrblegrrblegrrrble” from Brooke).

Grunde–Thanks, my friend. And I’m eager to get you more of the book. I have a few more bits and pieces to fill in and can then start sending bigger chunks your way.

Jay–Thanks for that. It is closing in on 100 percent.

Boyd–True that, but fortunately all seems to be pretty good now and I’m back in business.

David–Thank you for the kind comment. Hoping I don’t have a repeat of this type of thing anytime soon.

8. Dan Knox says:

Jason,
    Glad to hear you’re on the mend (ironic, isn’t it, how fly fishing terms make their way into every day conversation?).
    I do hope the book project goes smoothly the rest of the way.

9. Dan Knox says:

Glad to hear you are back on the mend. Looking forward to the book and others yet to come!

10. Lisa says:

Very nice to read this. I have rheumatoid arthritis and fly fished for the first time a week ago in New Zealand. It was also my first time fishing in any capacity since I became ill. Fly fishing has always been something I wanted to learn, do well, and keep on doing. We live near Reno, NV- so I’m looking forward to learning to fish (fly fish) in our local area.

Healing takes time- I wish you well.

• JB says:

Lisa–Good to hear that you not only are fly fishing now, but got your start in NZ! Hopefully you can get some good medical feedback on how to best adjust rod grip, casting stroke, etc., to best ft your situation. There are some good waters near Reno, and I hope you can take full advantage.

11. Daniel says:

Hi Jason hope the hand is recovering well and you had a good Christmas/New Year.

Is the rod in the photo something you used just while the hand was injured? And how do you rate the XP among the current crop of modern rods?

Cheers and all the best
    Daniel

• JB says:

Daniel–Hand is better, but still not there 100-percent. At least it keeps mostly quiet when I cast …

The rod is actually something that I’ve had for a while. It’s a Beavertail handle that was being built by a shop in Canada a few years back (Angler’s Roost). Don’t know if they’re still at it.

I still love my 590-4 XP. Well suited to me as all-around trout rod and has accompanied me to several continents over the years.